Koopa and Mario RP Forums.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

From my time as a Concept Artist for the Super Mario Bros. Super Show..

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KingBowserKoopa
Veteran RPer
Veteran RPer

PostSubject: From my time as a Concept Artist for the Super Mario Bros. Super Show..   Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:27 pm

August 27 - September 7, 1990

I worked as a Concept Artist for the Super Show and on Adventures of SMB3. Only a handful of my pieces were used in episodes, this is not one of those pieces. I have seen other people taking some of my art and posting as their own over the years and this is why I do not share mine out on a public forum.. but since you are my koopa family I will share this one piece with you. Enjoy, any questions you have I will answer.

Last edited by KingBowserKoopa on Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orinda Tarsa
Veteran RPer
Veteran RPer

PostSubject: Re: From my time as a Concept Artist for the Super Mario Bros. Super Show..   Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:18 pm

Okay, I've noticed that this only happens on the Creativity Board. Check the board permissions, Al.. for Creativity. There has to be something there you've missed or that we have all missed, because any pictures posted from photobucket in other places shows up without a problem.

KingBowserKoopa
Veteran RPer
Veteran RPer

PostSubject: Re: From my time as a Concept Artist for the Super Mario Bros. Super Show..   Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:24 pm

Wow, hard to believe it was that simple. Thank you Nick, you were absolutely right. Those support boards are like reading SC posts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orinda Tarsa
Veteran RPer
Veteran RPer

PostSubject: Re: From my time as a Concept Artist for the Super Mario Bros. Super Show..   Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:36 pm

LOL@SC Posts.

No problem Al, glad to take time out of my busy Sunday to help! Gorgeous piece by the way, I miss seeing your art but understand why you no longer display it on the nets..

ShortroundCubone

PostSubject: Re: From my time as a Concept Artist for the Super Mario Bros. Super Show..   Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:00 pm

what was your favorite episodes and i'm curious about that green smear on the bottom of his belly right side, where did it come from?

Veteran RPer
Veteran RPer

PostSubject: Re: From my time as a Concept Artist for the Super Mario Bros. Super Show..   Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:08 pm

Chris S., my favorite episodes were 'The Bird! The Bird!' (Super Show), 'Count Koopula' (Super Show) and 'The Beauty of Kootie' (SMB3).

The green smear you are talking about was an accident. One of the artists who worked on the storyboard pointed out something in that section of the belly, the paint was still wet and hence the smear. Smears didn't matter as this was concept art, they essentially used concept if it was in a pose that they liked in particular and already had the colors for the characters set in mind. As far as I know, my green is a slightly darker shade than they used in the final products.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spike83
Veteran RPer
Veteran RPer

PostSubject: Re: From my time as a Concept Artist for the Super Mario Bros. Super Show..   Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:24 pm

Best memories of working on the two shows and do you miss it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KingBowserKoopa
Veteran RPer
Veteran RPer

PostSubject: Re: From my time as a Concept Artist for the Super Mario Bros. Super Show..   Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:07 pm

Greg, my favorite memories of working on the show are being able to meet Danny Wells (live action Luigi), Captain Lou Albino (live action Mario) and Harvey Atkin (voice of King Koopa). With Wells and Albino, it was a fairly short introduction as they stopped by our offices. They shook my hand, asked 'How are you' and that was about as far as it went, because I imagine they had a busy schedule. Harvey, he stopped by the office on that day and he and I shook hands when he walked up to meet me. We interacted for about seven minutes, he wanted to see my artwork and was just curious about the whole process in general. He asked how I was and I had a hard time to not drool or squeal like a schoolgirl over him, but I did tell him that I admired his work as an accomplished actor and was grateful that he took a few minutes out of his day to say hello to me and see what my job was there as an artist. I never did see him again but in my career that was one of the greatest things I had a chance to be a part of and will never forget it. He enjoyed two of my pieces in particular, the one I have in the opening post and one where Koopa is leaning over his throne talking to the Albatoss birds (that piece was actually used in an episode, 'The Bird! The Bird'). My other favorite memories is just being there doing what I loved to do, which was draw. Being a concept artist made things even more exciting because so much of it required me to use my imagination and made me wonder 'What would this character do', 'What is he thinking', etc. etc.

Do I miss it all? For the most part, I definitely do. It was so much fun and it felt great to just see how they put all the magic in a show together in just a few short days. Hand drawn animation was always so satisfying in that aspect because you knew that what you were drawing, what you took several hours or days out of your time to do, was going to be seen by thousands or millions of viewers. The only part that I don't miss is those rushed deadlines, those emergencies where the head man needed a pose and he needed it quick. He'd basically say "Face, pose. You have two days, or 36 hours, or less than that in a few cases." But besides that, I miss it and I would do it again if I had the chance. Definite experience of a lifetime, Greg.. and it was just a man such as myself pursuing his dreams. It brought the KKE into a bigger window of view for me since I had just started it shortly before joining the SMBSS staff and I couldn't pass up the opportunity when I saw an opening for it.

Sorry for the wordy response, but great memories and something you adore so much you just tend to go on about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bhj1994

PostSubject: Re: From my time as a Concept Artist for the Super Mario Bros. Super Show..   Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:31 am

Thats really cool that you were able to do that dude. My question is how did you get your break into animation?

"I will show you that I am the Lord."
(Exodus 7:17)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
KingBowserKoopa
Veteran RPer
Veteran RPer

PostSubject: Re: From my time as a Concept Artist for the Super Mario Bros. Super Show..   Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:15 am

Was obsessed with comic strips and cartoons as a child, eventually took up Art at UCLA and graduated with an Art Degree from UCLA in 1981. Spent a few years after college and my football career derailed as an assistant to the cameramen starting with the inaugural season of Night Court (american television sitcom). Did a few short stints as assistant again for a few failed pilot sitcoms and just found a hiring advertisement for an artist at the Super Mario Bros. Super Show. I applied and my credentials won them over along with my skill so I became a concept artist for them.

Hope that answers your questions bud.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orinda Tarsa
Veteran RPer
Veteran RPer

PostSubject: Re: From my time as a Concept Artist for the Super Mario Bros. Super Show..   Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:49 pm

Why did you stop working as a concept artist after SMB3 ended? Also, I've heard about a possible new Super Mario Bros. movie coming out and that it may be animated. Would you draw for them again if they miraculously hired you back on? What direction should they take?

KingBowserKoopa
Veteran RPer
Veteran RPer

PostSubject: Re: From my time as a Concept Artist for the Super Mario Bros. Super Show..   Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:06 am

Nick, I left after SMB3 concluded for a few reasons. Primarily two, the first being that I wanted to do something bigger with my career at the time. I wanted to become a full-fledged cartoonist instead of being an assistant or what I had been doing as a concept artist. The second is one I didn't tell my supervisors, which was the direction that they sought for the next series which was eventually to become Super Mario World. They gave us ideas about the character personalities and I heard a few leaks about possible plot lines and the whole thing seemed so doped down from what we accomplished with the first two shows. It is hard to do your job well when you aren't happy where its going. I never did get another shot as a cartoon artist despite sending several applications for a few shows here in Canada, which effectively ended my career in cartoons and television.

In terms of the SMB movie idea, I do hope that it is animated. Whether its CGI or hand drawn, I hope that people learned their lesson from the live action film. CGI or hand drawn, either way is a good direction for it and it is really just a matter of not following the games too much. If something is followed too closely, a lot of the fun and energy is lost or it ends up the fate of the live-action film where its taken literally to the point where it doesn't resemble the product it wants to be at all and just winds up having characters that are only named after the video game characters and not much else. If they did happen to rehire me as an artist, I'd have to dust off my rustiness for starters.. its been about a decade since I last drew anything. The direction I'd like to see? If its being rushed as we so often were in our departments back on the first two cartoons, it will come out rushed and downright awful. They have to be patient and as I mentioned before, it has to be done right or it will bomb and make a shameful mark on a well acclaimed and accomplished gaming franchise. It would really depend on what they want to do with the new movie, that would woo me over if they decided to bring me back in.

Sorry for the chatter, hope that answered it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SC276
Veteran RPer
Veteran RPer

PostSubject: Re: From my time as a Concept Artist for the Super Mario Bros. Super Show..   Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:45 am

KingBowserKoopa wrote:
The second is one I didn't tell my supervisors, which was the direction that they sought for the next series which was eventually to become Super Mario World. They gave us ideas about the character personalities and I heard a few leaks about possible plot lines and the whole thing seemed so doped down from what we accomplished with the first two shows.
You got that right, definitely. SMW looked like it was done by another studio entirely, and the less said about that cave boy, the better.

-"Nothing's Too Good for You"

Current status: Seek out the Heart of the Matter
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://supercomputer276.webs.com
Orinda Tarsa
Veteran RPer
Veteran RPer

PostSubject: Re: From my time as a Concept Artist for the Super Mario Bros. Super Show..   Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:28 pm

I found that series on DVD for $5 last year and I found out why it was that cheap.. just painful to watch.

Terry
Veteran RPer
Veteran RPer

PostSubject: Re: From my time as a Concept Artist for the Super Mario Bros. Super Show..   Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:00 pm

Yeah, I agree about the SMW cartoon series. It was not really that good and the whole "stone age" plot as well as the individual stories didn't really go down too well for me personally. The glitches carried on from the TAOSMB3 series too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KingBowserKoopa
Veteran RPer
Veteran RPer

PostSubject: Re: From my time as a Concept Artist for the Super Mario Bros. Super Show..   Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:14 pm

A lot of the glitches was as I said in an earlier post rushed work. It's far from Disney quality work, it takes years to make a Disney film and several months to produce a good looking cartoon episode. The artists for SMBSS and SMB3, often had deadlines to meet so they had to be put together quickly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Terry
Veteran RPer
Veteran RPer

PostSubject: Re: From my time as a Concept Artist for the Super Mario Bros. Super Show..   Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:39 am

Deadlines are not good for animation and this proves it. They should have been allowed to have much more time to prepare the shows.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KingBowserKoopa
Veteran RPer
Veteran RPer

PostSubject: Re: From my time as a Concept Artist for the Super Mario Bros. Super Show..   Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:53 am

If you think about that one Terry, I believe it used to take Warner Bros three months to do a single cartoon. They were still of high quality. If it took us that long (if not a little longer) to do a single SMBSS or SMB3 cartoon, we would of had to get everything put together long before the cartoons aired and especially since we only set out to do a certain amount of episodes, that would of cost the company more money.. keeping the animators there longer, that kind of thing. Even though I didn't like being rushed to make those deadlines, that really is the nature of the beast.

And SC, you assumed right. SMW was done by a completely different studio in terms of the animation. It was done by Pacific Rim Productions, unless I am mistaken.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: From my time as a Concept Artist for the Super Mario Bros. Super Show..   

Back to top Go down

From my time as a Concept Artist for the Super Mario Bros. Super Show..
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1